Go gentle, ah! dear world, says a baby’s delicate skin, if we try and listen to it. Our protectiveness for our baby…any baby, must also include protecting its delicate skin from the harshness around. Be it chemicals, extreme weather, or simply negligence.
- Bathe the baby regularly. We aren’t protecting it from the cold weather by not bathing it, much as we feel/like to think we are. Its skin needs to get rid of the toxic substances left behind by sweat, creams and powders etc. that clog pores, and of the dead dermal layer on the surface. Declogging the baby’s pores thus, ensures it has a soft, healthy skin.
- A good but gentle massage is very vital for your baby…as much for its skin, as for its muscles and bones. While a nice oil massage traditionally given to babies (in India) is good, a gentle massage with a more absorbent oil or moisturizing lotion soon after the bath (while the skin is still damp) keeps the skin well moisturized by locking in the moisture.
- Add more fluids to the baby’s diet/feed, as exposure to dry air and the sun dehydrates the baby, and essentially, its skin. The less a baby’s skin (area) is exposed to the dehydrating air -be it conditioned (heated or cooled) or natural, the less dehydrated the baby and its skin get. Preventing the skin from dehydration doesn’t of course mean, letting it remain wet or even damp. It should be wiped dry asap, lest the wetness/dampness harm it. Letting the wetness dry by itself from the skin means over-drying it. This isn’t good for anyone’s skin, surely not for the baby’s tender skin.
- Avoid using unnatural, cosmetic products for your baby. And if one can’t, then non-organic products are a definite no. The pH value of baby care products is kept best suited for baby skin. This is why, if one must use chemically produced products, they should be safe for the baby’s delicate skin.
- Dress your baby in clothes made with natural substances such as cotton. No matter how harsh the winters, the innermost clothes of the baby must be cotton. They not only absorb and release sweat, keeping the baby dry, in doing so, they let its skin breathe. And are soft and gentle as well, on the baby’s tender skin. “Pampers brings you the softest ever Pampers Premium Care Pants. Its cotton-like softness is #SoftestForBabySkin and allows it to breathe, thus keeping baby’s skin soft and healthy, and your baby happy.”
Your baby’s skin is your style statement too! Take care.